Friday, November 21, 2008

Can it be?

I've actually had two relatively nausea-free days in a row! Yesterday was sort of odd in that we got up around 4am and were at the airport by about 5, and just as I was getting out of the cab, I was hit hard--not with nausea, but just the overwhelming bodily urge to throw up. The hard swallowing, the rapid salivation, the hot flashes, the whole nine yards. I kept frantically looking around for a place to do it and finding none suitable. I must have swallowed a gallon of saliva while looking around in a panic. By the time I found a bathroom, though, the urge had passed. And again--this wasn't the intense queasiness I've been feeling for the past week, it was just an urge, like that of a sneeze, to throw up. I didn't, but I came the absolute closest I have yet. But honestly--I'll take a quick and dirty vomiting session over just feeling like I'm going to, all day, day after day.

Other than that, I feel good! I know a lot of women complain of first-trimester tiredness, but I feel more or less like my old self, who has always worked hard, played hard, and slept hard.

And while I'm not showing or anything, and I've only gained 1.5 pounds, I realized while getting dressed for a reception last night that my body nonetheless doesn't have quite the same relationship to a certain fitted pair of black dress pants anymore. So things are definitely shifting, if not visibly yet.

All in all, it's great to be feeling better, and I'm crossing my fingers that it's going to stick. We continue to be very excited about the baby and becoming parents together, and I've thought to myself so many times that I don't know how women do this who don't have a loving, patient, sympathetic partner to pick up the slack when they feel like lying around with their head in the toilet all day. But I do, and I'm so grateful. Thank you, Matt: you're a wonderful husband and you'll be an incredible father.

No comments: