Saturday, September 26, 2009

Krill oil: My cure for baby eczema

A number of weeks ago, to my dismay, Eden started developing rough, red patches of eczema on her arms and legs. Having struggled with various bouts of itchy scaly skin throughout my life, I had hoped she would be spared. Alas, she apparently was not. I rubbed coconut oil on it in vain--while it might have kept it a little softer, the angry pink outlines were still there.

It wasn't until a bottle of Omega-3 krill oil capsules arrived in the mail from my mom that I had an epiphany. I'd taken either fish oil or cod liver oil pills throughout the pregnancy, and had continued doing so since Eden was born. However, I get them through my mom, who is some kind of vitamin dealer, and I had run out and was waiting for her to send more. It wasn't until I started up again that I realized that the period during which I'd run out was exactly when Eden had developed her skin trouble. I hardly dared to hope that taking them again would rectify the problem, but it did! Within about a week after starting up again, her patches of eczema were all totally gone, and so far they haven't recurred. I'm convinced that was what did the trick, since it was the only thing about our diet and lifestyle that changed--both when she flared up and when it went away. Below you can see the difference:

The great thing about breastfeeding is that I don't have to try to figure out how to get her to take fish oil--just take it myself. But when she strikes out on her own, foodwise, you can bet that I'll be sure to figure out a way to do so.

1 comment:

Sarah Burke said...

Having had eczema for 21 years (I'm 22 and recently made lifestyle and diet changes that have alleviated the eczema suffering), I understand this situation very well.
This is the website for the book that helped guide me on some changes : http://www.psoriasis-healing.com (completely natural.. based on diet and lifestyle).

A couple things that I found work really well when I do get dry patches and even skin cracking are : castor oil and plantain salve(+ other herb salves).

Hopefully the essential fatty oils will be all it takes.