Sunday, April 5, 2009

Like I've done before...


photo by X-it

I spoke too soon. After working three days last week, by Friday night, my pelvic pain was back with a vengeance. We went for acupuncture Saturday morning, and I was suffering enough even after that to call my chiropractor and ask her to stay late to see me that day--which she did. But while last time it seemed like everything I tried helped at least a little bit, this time, nothing seemed to help at all. Not the acupuncture, not the chiropractic, not a hot shower or two hot baths, not ice packs. No position was any more comfortable than any other and the only thing that made it more excruciating than it already was was trying to ride in the car--I don't know if it was the vibrations or the position or what, but it was just intolerable. I spent a decent portion of Saturday afternoon literally writhing on the couch and crying, until I feel into an exhausted sleep for about half an hour. When I woke up, it seems like things had quieted down to a dull roar. I slept OK last night, and much of today was fine, but late afternoon found me back on the couch in the same state I was in yesterday.

One more thing I've found that does seem to lend a little relief is sitting on an exercise ball. It seems to offer the right mix of stability and "give," and I think is also helpful because it's not a static sitting position--I'm constantly shifting around. And that's sort of what I've found to be the most helpful thing--just constantly changing positions, because no one position is very comfortable, and especially not for very long. Unfortunately, that's kind of exhausting. It's discouraging because my pelvis feels too painful and unstable for any real activity--like walking or hiking--but at the same time, I feel exhausted and drained, just from dealing with the pain. Needless to say, this is a huge setback and disappointment for me right now. I'm hoping that maybe things were just stirred up by the acupuncture and chiropractic, and that by mid-week I'll be feeling better again, but it seems like by then going to work, I get myself into a vicious cycle that's hard to break. Though again--resting it doesn't seem to help substantially either, and it's really way too early for me to be off work anyway. Matt has been wonderful, quick to draw me a bath or help with massage or suggest something he's read about, and most of all, just lots of moral support during this very trying time for me. And that helps. In the meantime--we'll just keep our fingers crossed, and keep trying.

No comments: